Italy

13 Mar

So first of all, I am sorry this is so delayed.  Second, the keyboards here are a little different and it is really hard!

Florence –

Florence was wonderful. It had more of an old town feel and was a lot smaller than Rome.  Shelby made me choose whether I would live in Rome or Florence and I chose Rome – who would have thought.

More favorites –

1. Secret passages tour in Palace Vecchio – there was all these secret staircases and rooms that we walked through.  A painting was opened and we walked through it to another secret staircase!

2. The David – so incredible

3. The neighborhood cafe next to our hostel

4. We made friends with two girls who were travelling together. Mary was from Mexico and Jing was from China and they were studying in France and vacationing in Italy.  They were quite the pair and we loved them.

5. Irish pub where we made some friends and watched the Florence Championship football game.  It was very exciting!

Venice –

I loved Venice.  This city is like nothing I have ever seen before.  There are no cars and the streets are either alley ways or canals.  The hostel we stayed at was so great as well.  We made friends with everyone staying there right away and ended up spending our whole time in Venice with them.  The owner of the hostel, Lapo, loves Lady Gaga and on our first morning there he was blasting the same song on repeat from his computer for about a half an hour.  It was quite funny.  We have found Europeans really like Lady Gaga.  We picked Laura up at the airport so now there are three of us!  My favorite thing we did while in Venice was ride a gondola.  It was enchanting and everything I hoped it would be!

Quick update – we abandoned our plans to go to Croatia which was hard and a little sad but the only scheduled train taking us to Zagreb would get us in at 4am and then we would still have another bus ride to our destination that would last 11 hours.  So we altered our itinerary and are now in Austria…which is nothing like I expected and quite wonderful.

9 Responses to “Italy”

1. Lisa March 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm #

I am so glad for the wonderous experience you are having. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your experience with us. Love you! Hug Sally and yourself for me!

2. NANA JOY March 14, 2010 at 12:13 am #

Good to hear from you and your experiences!! Last night went to Kevin’s first soccer game at Lampson Stadium against the University Tietans from Spokane. Kennewick beat them 4-0 and Kevin played quite a bit. It was fun, drizzling rain and cold. But Cheryl, Rog and I had umbrellas and I was bundled up so nice and warm. Afterwards went to Dairy Queen, Hillary was working, but very busy.

Take care and love you lots. Nana Joy

3. Mom March 14, 2010 at 6:23 am #

I can understand why the Secret Passages Tour was your favorite in Florence; when you first became interested in purses, you always looked for the ones that had a million pockets in them so you could hide all your valuables! Question of the day: why is there an Irish Pub in Italy? I remember how charming Venice was with the gondolas and I still have the little pinky ring I bought there made out of Venetian glass! Praying for you all!

4. Grandpa &GGrandma March 15, 2010 at 12:29 am #

Got your e-mail about Schotland information
    that I sent you. What about the German relat-
    ives? We are so glad that you are having such
    a good time as well as thhe interesting things
    that you arre seeing and the people that you
    are meeting. Love you and God bless.
    Grandma & Grandpa

5. Jo March 15, 2010 at 4:59 am #

Hi Michele how’s it going? Secret passage ways COOL! I’ve always thought it would be fun to unlock one and go on a traesure hunt like in National Treasure. I love you .Dad finished opening his B.D presents he got a book[from mom] and a movie[from Jer] and I got him a Mariners shirt. Well I should probally go to bed now. LOVE YA.

FROM,
    Jo

6. karli March 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm #

wonderful michele!!! glad you are having such a wonderful time and that you are posting on this blog so i can live vicariously through you!! (;

7. Aunt Pam March 16, 2010 at 12:06 am #

Dear Ms Muffet:

My kingdom for a gondola ride! It sounds wonderful. Lucky you. I never got to Venice–Maybe in the next life.

Hostel life sounds fun. Meeting people from all over–make sure you lock up your things in those hostels –famous for theivery.

Will you go for a Waltz in Austria? I’d like to do that for something different.

Thinking of you all the time, Arividerci Baby,
    Aunt Pam

8. Briana March 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

I am so glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I thought the David in person wad simply amazing. I agree that Florence is a more livable city. Looking forward to more posts. Love ya and miss our coffee dates but looking forward to all the fun stories: )

9. April March 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

Hi Michele,

I wanted to follow your blog and see how your travels have been going. I would LOVE to see pictures! 🙂
    Continue to enjoy your time. See you in May for a glamorous wedding.

When you get back you can check out our blog: http://cameronandapril.blogspot.com/

Wink Wink,